Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Thanksgiving Screwjob: Houston Texans Style



Hello, friends, family, colleagues. I'd just like to say a few words before diving in to the juicy stuff. My name is Steven. Born in Houston, Texas, 16 years ago today actually.

I am Texas loud and Texas proud. Although I've moved from Texas when I was 9, I still bleed Battle Red, Liberty White, and Deep Steel Blue! Along the way of reading from me, you will see me complain, try and make jokes that aren't funny, and many opinions you might disagree with. Regardless, my promise is to at least give you some form of writing that you can enjoy, or die trying! Now, I've said enough about me, let start digging into the topic at hand.

 
The Thanksgiving Screwjob


Sounds scary, eh?

It was one Thanksgiving ago in which the most controversial play in Texans history took place. Anyone who says it is not, go back through each of the Texans 12 seasons, and tell me what is.

It was the latter of the 3rd quarter, and the Detroit Lions were on top 24-14, and just like that, a miracle begins! Matt Schaub give a zone run to the right side to Justin Forsett, and takes it 81 yards to the house! TOUCHDOWN HOUSTON TEXANS! This run still stands as the Texans longest offensive scoring play in their history.

But wait! Forsett is clearly down. His knee and entire forearm right on the turf. All scoring plays are reviewed, so it should be 2&3 at the 26 yard line with the clock running inside of 6 minutes. But wait! There's a red piece of laundry on the Detroit sideline, which now negates the review. WAY TO GO JIM SCHWARTZ!

In overtime, the Texans prevailed 34-31 in their inaugural Thanksgiving Day game.

Who really knows what happens if not for Forsett. Kinda crazy to think about. Can the Texans score? Do the Lions pull the upset on the then 9-1 Texans?

To this day, I still get grief from Lions fans on this game (I do live in Michigan). But until the Lions and Texans meet again in 2016 in Reliant Stadium, they have to hate me for the same reason every day. But I have the Pack beating Detroit today, so hopefully they move on from me, and start crying to the kid in my school who likes Green Bay...

My Texans play Sunday against the (gulp) New England Patriots, so I will soon return to report on that.

For now, so long. Happy Birthday to me. Happy Thanksgiving to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment