Friday, December 6, 2013

End Of The Kubiak Era

I've been thinking ever since last night what to write about that concerns the Texans. Should I write a game recap? Since Matt Schaub replaced Case Keenum last night, should I write a comparison between the two and give my opinion who's better? Should I write about what I think the Texans should do in the draft? I was left clueless until something this afternoon happened, and it was like The Good Lord was speaking to me saying "Steven, the world needs this".

This afternoon, Texans owner Bob McNair announced that the Texans have fired 8th year head coach Gary Kubiak.

In his tenure with the Texans, Kubiak had a record of 61-63, including back-to-back AFC South division championships and two victories in the playoffs, although both trips were cut short in the Divisional Round by Baltimore, and New England respectively. And ever since 2007, Kubiak had tried to cement Matt Schaub as the Texans franchise quarterback and make him this teams legacy. Isn't it fitting that the play that sealed last nights game, and Kubiak's career, was a Matt Schaub interception?

Bob McNair announced that the Texans are now in the hunt for a new coach, and that he has no vision to rebuild a team with all the talent on it. And Bob is right. You got talent like Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Owen Daniels, Garret Graham, Duane Brown, J.J Watt, Brian Cushing, DJ Swearinger, and Shiloh Keo. This team is one of the most loaded rosters in the AFC, and probably the entire NFL, but the system was awful. The reason why the Texans lost to Seattle was because the Seahawks knew what play was going to be ran in this oh so predictable offense, and turned everything around, giving Matt Schaub his then 3rd straight game with a Pick-6.

So who's the answer?

I never thought that Jon Gruden would come back, but I've never been in a situation where the Texans really needed a coach (I was just 8 during the 2005 season and didn't know much about sports yet), but now that I see this problem, it's sorta real. But I believe the real answer will come in the form of Lovie Smith. But in the mean time, Wade Phillips will fill in as Interim-Head Coach, and these last three games of the year between Indy, Denver, and Tennessee will determine if Phillips will get a real job as Head Coach.

But personally, I think it was too early to kick out Kubiak anyway. The Texans will still have to use his offense unless they have some sort of emergency system that Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison had just in case, and if that is the case, label him a magician and tell him to start reading minds, because Houston might need that.

No comments:

Post a Comment